currently reading books about kids a.k.a pediatrics. *lam wow lam* and I found something interesting.
I have lots lots and lots of nieces and nephews. Alhamdulillah. All praise to Allah for this ni'mah.
and I have experienced taking care of them. Soooo, few common challenges that I have faced/observed/etc are:
1. Difficulty in settling to sleep at bedtime.
some of my nieces and nephews go to sleep quite late. Especially when this Che Su tak mo tido lagi. lols. Ok having said that, I used to asked them at what time they usually sleep. If weekend, they are all sleep late because no school on the next day. And it changes during weekdays. Fair enough for the big ones but not the young ones especially if they are sleeping with the parents.
Hence, I am thinking about the future. I need the sleep for the energy. hurmmmm. *sleepy head much. hahahah*
Anyway, back to the story. First, you need to figure out why they are not settling at night. Here are some reasons:
- too much sleep in the late afternoon
- displaced sleep/wake cycle - not waking child in morning because did not settle until late on the previous night
- separation anxiety
- overstimulated or overwrought in the evening
- kept awake by siblings or noisy neighbors or TV in the bedroom
- erratic parental practices: no bedtime or routing to cue child into sleep readiness, sudden removal from play to go to bed without prior warning to wind down
- use of bedroom as punishment
- dislike of darkness and silence- night light and playing story tapes can be helpfl
- some chronic physical conditions may be associated with sleep problems e.h painful crisis in sickle cell disease
and these are what recommended:
- creating a bedtime routine which cues the child to what is required
- telling the child to lie quietly in bed until he/she falls asleep, recognizing that children cannot fall asleep to order
and these are what my parents did to me. as far as I remember. hehe
- Mami is a mom to us and a warden as well. Hehe. At 10 pm every night, she will make sure everyone go to bed after finish homework/study. Every night, we sat at the study table together and everyone was studying including my mom. and exactly at 10 pm, we prepared our stuffs to go to school for the next day and ready to go to bed. Thats was happened everyday! *hidup berjemaah beb, we did everything together, bila masuk university, those 20 years training had changed. why? I don't know. Need to go back on track*. Basically, we have routine and honestly, I am enjoy that. *perfect melancholic much*
- we don't watch TV at night - so, it was very quiet at night. Except later on when a shopping complex was build next to our house. (we lived in a shophouse and it was a cowboy town back then. not anymore. Sound pollution started when I was 10 I think.).
- sometimes, after Papa came back from work and both my parents were ready to go to sleep, I would go to their room and tell a story based on what I drew. Well, it was kinda bedtime story for all of us, but I were the story teller. lols. *see, how much I am enjoy talking. Thats explain my excessive talking behavior. hahahah* - I am trying to reduce okkk.
- night light - I have this until now, not really here. But back home in Malaysia. My mum will make sure all rooms have night light. I don't know the reason. but thats mum. She will make sure all rooms have night light or table lamp. I rarely use it because some said it is not good for your sleep hygiene. To what extend it is true, I don't know. I have no problem having that in my room. Mom's love <3 li="">3>
Fun fact: talking about story tapes. For each one of us who have successfully read a whole story book, our parents will tape it. *we don't have any video cam whatsoever. voice recorder was the best* It was the best moment ever! We would keep on playing that and listening over and over again our own voice. It was kinda a booster to read more more and more. awwww. I am wonder where are those tapes? hurmm in our old house maybe.
Enough for tonight. I would like to write on toddler disobedience and tantrum but not today. Later insyAllah.
Resource for above facts: Illustrated Textbook of Paediatrics by Tom Lissauer and Graham Clayden.
back to books!
Exam less than 4 weeks! *panic attack*
p/s few more topics I want to write - CBT and Health promotion. Doakan diberi keberkatan masa. Amin! I think I have those flight of ideas. *maniac much. lols*
may Allah bless!
6 Safar 1436H
New tag --> Tarbiyatul aulad! >.<